Friday, March 04, 2005

rant on!

Today is my day off.
I, as you may or may not know, am a civil servant. Leaving aside the fact that I am not ever servile and tend to become less civil as the questions become more asinine.
I get pretty good health coverage through my employer. One of these benefits is eye coverage. A rarity in these days. And a necessity in my case. If I'm not wearing my glasses or my contacts, walls are in danger from me.
Last month, I had made an appointment to have my eyes checked to get new contacts. I was very specific about my request. And the person I made my appointment with was also clear that I was making an appointment for contacts.
This morning, I got up, showered, ate breakfast and went to my 10:40 A.M. appointment. The facility I was going to is literally up the road from me. I was in the office by 10:20. Copay paid, forms submitted. Butt in chair.
20 minutes passes. My appointment time passes. My butt remains in chair. Good thing I brought a book.
Another 15 minutes passes. That very large mug of tea I drank this morning is making its presence felt. I ask the receptionist to point me to the bathroom and tell her to please make sure that I'm not called while I'm out.
5 minutes later I'm back. Having stopped to wash my hands properly. It's now 11:00 A.M.
10 minutes later I'm finally called into the office.
The old geezer, oops, I mean the doctor, tells me to take a seat. Asks me what I'm there for.
When I tells him I need new contacts, I get a whole long lecture about how I need to see that contact department, not optometry, blah blah blah. The entire time he is talking to me, he's looking at his desk. Yes, that's right, the man can't be bothered to make eye contact with me. The couple times he did look at me, it was out of the corner of his eye! Now, I may not be a supermodel, but I've never been accused of been hard on anyone's eyes.
Needless to say, I told the geezer that I wanted to reschedule for a contact appointment and stalked out of his office.
Would you like to know when the appointment is for? Late April! Yes, more than a month away!
The receptionists could tell I was furious. To the point where the manager of the department had them waive my copay for the next visit! And they gave me back the copay for today (which, since they didn't do anything, they would have had to anyway).
Over an hour of my day completely wasted.
Oh and I came home and filed a grievance against the doctor.
You know, I get jerked around over things every now and again. Most of the time, it's of little consequence and I can usually works things around to my advantage. But don't mess with me about my eyes.

No comments: