Saturday, December 02, 2006

Why does hatred seem to be more popular than tolerance?

U.S. diocese favors break with Episcopal Church

I'm pretty sure you all know that I'm not a big fan of organized religion. I sort of seem to find that the more stratified anything becomes, the more intolerant and bigoted they seem to be. And, if you are religious, that's fine.
But can someone please explain to me why there are so many people who claim to be religious and are so filled with hatred and intolerance? Doesn't God, all Gods, no matter what, say to love everyone? It shouldn't be love just the people who do things our way. It should be everyone. It really makes me angry to read stories like the one I linked to.
Why is being intolerant and hateful the preferred choice for anyone?
I don't know. I guess I'm happier not believing. Because that way I'm free to not hate.

No comments: