Thursday, October 09, 2008

Something I've been thinking of

So the last few days has seen an upswing in the McCain campaign using "Obama is an other" rhetoric. All the introductions by people saying Barack Hussein Obama. All the "terrorist" stuff. All the "that one".
The Republicans and their candidate are poisoning the well. Look at it. There is a palpable feeling of defeat in the air for them. And so when the radical and dangerous elements of their base start showing off, the do nothing to stop it. Nothing.
Joe Biden said today that it was absolutely irresponsible for a candidate running for the Vice Presidency not to stop and rebuke the person who yelled out "kill him". And he's right. I mean, come on, decent human beings don't say that people should be killed. It's the absurd, horrible people.
And what happens next month after election day? 4 years ago, I was devastated after election day. I literally couldn't stop crying. I had to leave a meeting in the middle because I had cried so much, I had a headache. And I bet I'm not the only person who reacted in a manner like that.
But here's the thing, none of us went out and committed acts of violence.
But we can not trust the Republicans to react as we did. They're storing up resentment and hatred. And they've got crazy racists on their side.
The well is being poisoned and we are all in danger.
But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

update: Obama, McCain Transition Efforts Are Worlds Apart

This is an example of what I'm talking about. Obama's campaign is prepared for the transition. They've put thought into the upcoming months. Planning ahead.
McCain, well apparently not so much.
The Arizona Senator has instructed his team to not spend time on the transition effort, according to the source,...
Apparently not wanting to put the cart before the horse and to concentrate on campaigning. But, for me, it just highlights that he isn't planning to win. In a very tortured analogy: it's like winning the lottery. Every single one of us plans what we'd do if we won the lottery. Isn't the election a totally different sort of lottery to these two men? They're the finalists in a competition one of them is sure to win. Of course you have to plan what you're going to do.

No comments: