Thursday, April 09, 2009

Dear Betty: Suck it

Texas lawmaker: Asians should change their names to make them ‘easier for Americans to deal with.’

Aw! Poor baby! Chinese names are hard, so people should be forced to change their names to accommodate her. I can't tell you how sad I am for you Betty. Mostly because I'm not. I think you're beyond ignorant and close minded.
By the way, I spoke to my Irish, Dutch, and Norwegian friends. They wanted me to point out that their names aren't exactly the easiest either. They want to know if they should changes their names as well. For some reason, they think you'd probably be okay with they not changing their names.

2 comments:

David Larkins said...

Holy...wow. Just wow.

And she singles out Chinese! I mean, that's not exactly a tongue-twister of a language, lady.

At any rate, if there's any problems with pronouncing Chinese in English, it's only down to our substandard transliteration systems.

I'm not sure if the fact she still doesn't get what the controversy's over makes it funnier or sadder. A little of both, I guess.

Demeur said...

You have to call her Betty because Elizabeth is too hard to pronounce right?