Friday, April 08, 2011

The GOP hates women

I mean, it's not like you needed me to tell you that. But this looming shutdown over the defunding of Planned Parenthood really points to nothing else. I mean, after all the Hyde Amendment prevents any Federal funds go to provide abortions. So who exactly does the GOP think they're fooling with this bullshit?
It's nothing but a naked attempt to slap at women's healthcare. Flat out.
Now, I don't have a personal story about Planned Parenthood. But I do have a story about former college roommates of mine. (And since I haven't spoken to either one of them in over 20 years, I'm going to tell it.)
I went to a small Catholic college in Rochester, NY for my undergrad. Late '80s, early '90s. My freshman year I roomed with 2 women from far upstate NY. I'd met them both on a visit to the campus and they'd seemed like nice people, so we asked to room together. Anyway, one of these women had a boyfriend at home. He was slightly younger than her and still in high school. And she was always telling us about how they were both going to wait until they got married to have sex, and were always going to be true to each other. You know, all the things you say as an 18 year old.
Well, she came back from Christmas break and it seems they'd "done it" over the break. As the next few days progressed, well, she was having some problems. But couldn't go to the health center on campus. Catholic school, you know.
So we took her to Planned Parenthood. And hey guess what?! She wasn't pregnant. But her never had sex ever boyfriend had given her and STD! Which Planned Parenthood diagnosed and helped her treat.
But if it hadn't been for Planned Parenthood, she would not have done anything about it. She was never going to go to student health services.
So. The GOP wants to shut down the national government because the Democrats refuse to defund Planned Parenthood. And I say again, the GOP hates women.

No comments: