Wednesday, September 15, 2004

sadder and sadder

sadder every day
I have a friend who is an officer in the U.S. Army. He got married over Father's Day weekend. About a month ago he was shipped to Iraq. (Don't worry, this story doesn't have a sad ending. Yet) This man is someone I care deeply for. And right at this moment, I hate what he stands for.
A week ago I stood with a candle along the side of the road with 134 other people. We were out there honoring the 1000 servicemen and women who had been killed.
In the space of a week 22 more people have been killed. For a lie.
Anyway, back to my friend. Let's just take it as given that he is in a position to see more of the big picture than we can by watching the news. A few days ago he wrote to us that things in Iraq were much better than what we hear here. In fact, he said that everyday 100 good things happen, as opposed to 1 bad thing. I don't believe him. I have no idea how that can possibly be true.
I hate that he is out there. I hate that he has had to leave his wife, who he's been married to for less than 3 months. I hate that he's out in the middle of the damm desert. I hate. I hate. I hate. And I hate that I hate so much.
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: